Monday, January 6, 2014

Learning from the Words of Jesus - A City on a Hill


Kim and I were talking this week and she told me that one of her goals for this year was to focus more on Jesus. The interesting thing to me was I had been having a very similar feeling of something aching down deep inside of me that I couldn’t put into words and she just did.  I want to focus more on Jesus and what is important to him.

So I found one of my Bibles that has the “red letters” (you know the things that Jesus said) and I started reading in Matthew.  My thought was if I look and what Jesus said, and why He said it or what He was talking about I can learn some things about how I should live.  Seemed rather simple!

Matt. 3:15 – First recorded words of Jesus are his response to John the Baptist not wanting to baptize him.  Jesus said, “We must do this to fulfill all righteousness.” What could I learn there? It’s important to follow God’s teaching and to do the right thing.

Matt. 4:4, 7, 10 – Jesus responds to the temptation from Satan with quotes not just from the Old Testament, but from the Torah, central to the Jewish heritage of faith.  What could I learn there? When confronted by Satan or any evil in the world, go straight to the word of God.

Matt.4: 17 – Jesus’ first words of teaching were “repent for the kingdom of God is near’.  What could I learn there?  The kingdom of God is not about a date in history but about a spirit in your heart.

Matt. 4:19 – Jesus calls disciples with three simple words, “Come follow me”.  What could I learn there?  Quit making life so hard. Just drop everything and put Jesus first.

Matt. 5:1-12 – Jesus first sermon describes “happiness”. What could I learn?  He is the author of happiness, do what He says.

Matt.5:13 – He talks about “remaining salty”.  What could I learn? Following him is not a part-time game.  It’s all in!

Then he comes to this section about a “city on a hill”.  It is the first time he talks about a community and how important it is to reflect the light of God to all who can see.

          What good is light if it doesn’t shine so people can see?

No comments: