Monday, June 7, 2010

Screened In Porches and Cool Summer Nights

It's nearly midnight and I find myself in my personal sanctuary reflecting on the day. It was just a routine Monday, which happens to be my day off. Nothing really special about today, but I have spent quite a bit of time here in my personal sanctuary, working on my sermon for Sunday, writing some articles and beginning the early stages of a couple books and potential business ventures. Now at the end of the day I find myself looking over my schedule and to do list and realizing how peaceful it is in my personal sanctuary.
My personal sanctuary is just a simple screened in porch in back of the house. The couple we bought the house from had it built and even wired it with cable (Thank You Ed). I've made a couple of revisions and added some lighting, but it is nothing that impressive. It will never make it onto HGTV or Cribs or anything like that, but it is my place, my personal sanctuary. It is amazing how calm and quiet it is, even in the middle of the day, but especially at midnight.
So as I sit here in the quiet I found myself thinking about how lucky I am to have it. Life is hectic. Some days seem almost unbearable at times, but then I can go to my sanctuary and most nights it's just me ... oh and God.
I find myself writing or at least developing most of my sermons here during warm weather months. Some of the most intense times of prayer in my life take place in my personal sanctuary. Other times I just sit and think in my personal sanctuary. I sure am glad I have this place.
What about you? Do you have a personal place where you can meet God at the beginning or end of the day? I'd love to hear about it.

No comments: