Thursday, January 26, 2012

Thankful for Friends

It's been quite a week.  The long awaited knee surgery is over and now the recovery process begins.  I have been blessed with great friends throughout this ordeal as well as the doctors and nurses who have been so caring.  Of course, the best nurse is the one I have had with me for 25 years now.  I can't wait to see what I can do when everything is healed.  I had really hoped to be able to write a lot during this time, but focusing is a little hard right now.  I have learned so much already just going through the journey.  I know every time we find ourselves in difficult situations we want to say the right thing and often don't know what that thing is.  Let me make a suggestion while it is fresh on my mind that I am going to try to live by.  When someone is facing surgery, let's not wish them good luck, because as a believer I don't want to count on luck I want to count on God.  Let me suggest that we encourage people to "be blessed", instead of wishing them good luck.  I know everyone has the best of intentions when they say good luck, but "be blessed" seems more in line with what I believe is the desire of Christians.

The other lesson that I continue to learn is honesty.  I make so many mistakes on a daily basis with the things I mis-state and with the some choices I make.  I want to be the kind of friend that always comes clean with those things and makes things right with my friends.  If we could all learn to be honest in everything we say we would never have to cover our tracks, remember what we told someone else, because it would always be the truth.  The best kind of friend you can have is that one that will always be straight with you.  If you have someone like that in your life thank God for them, if you don't you start the process by being like that with someone else.  Friends are a beautiful thing!  I thank God for mine!

No comments: