Sunday, May 6, 2012

Good Bye to a Good Friend

There aren't a lot of them in the world.  People that you just immediately know are a genuinely nice person.  When I met Lonnie in the mid-1990's I knew I had met one of those people.  From the first time I heard him play the piano I knew he was a great piano player, but I soon found out he was an even better person.  I am not sure that he ever showed up at church without a joke to tell me.  I loved the chances I got to hear him play at the Captain's Quarters.  I will never forget the lunch that he and Butch prepared for some of our ministry team at their house.  I'm one of who knows how many preachers who Lonnie told "you're the best preacher I've ever heard".  I found out real soon that he told every preacher that and for that particular day each of us was the best preacher he had heard that day.  He just loved to encourage people. 

I'm glad Jonathan made the CD of his music for all of us to remember.  When I opened my desk drawer this morning before I went up to preach, there was the CD,  I admit I had to close the drawer quick because if I looked at it, much less listened to it I wouldn't have been able to compose myself enough to preach, because I loved to listen to him so much.  When he sang ... oh my, his sincerity could make all of us melt with joy.  Especially, when he sang about Jesus. 

I wish I had known him better.  That we had met sooner in life and that we lived closer to each other.  I wish I could have seen him every day of my life, because every day I did see him he made me feel special and made my day a better day.  Many people had that pleasure of knowing him longer and better and I can't imagine how much they are going to miss him.  Kim and I got to see his wonderful wife Butch tonight.  I hadn't seen her in a couple of years and when she hugged me it felt like it had only been minutes.  Lonnie and Butch were such a great couple!

Lonnie Ragan made the music in heaven even better this week.  I don't like good-byes,  so I'm not going to say that.  I just patted him wonderful hands tonight and said, "I'll see you later."  I bet he has a silly joke ready when we get there!

No comments: