Friday, May 18, 2012

How Much Do You Care Your Marriage?


Years ago I heard someone say, “It’s not that I am apathetic, I just don’t care anymore.”  It takes a second to sink in.  When it comes to marriage a lot of people end up saying, “It’s not that I don’t care, I just don’t love them anymore.”
Really?  How did that happen?  How does it keep happening?
On Valentine’s Day 2011, Time Magazine reported that, “The U.S. Census Bureau reports that the number of married Americans has dropped to around 54% in 2010 from 72% in 1970. A new CBS poll backs up that data: 70% of respondents said they thought the institution of marriage is weaker today that it was 20 years ago.”
Max Lucado wrote:“Satan won’t suddenly steal your home from you.  He’ll do something far worse. He’ll paint it with a familiar coat of Drab.  He’ll replace evening gowns with bathrobes, nights on the town with evenings in the recliner, and romance with routine.  He’ll scatter the dust of yesterday over the wedding pictures in the hallway until they become a memory of another couple in another time.”
This Sunday we will continue on series on Marriage Crashers as we deal with the topic of apathy.  I really don’t believe people go into marriage saying, “I might.”  They say I do and I choose to believe that on that special day they do.  The problem is that the wedding is an event and marriage is a process.
Marriage can be a life long journey and Sunday we will honor nearly fifty couples at our church on the hill that are testimony to that because they have passed the forty year mark.  Many more lasted a lifetime until one of them went to be with the Lord.  Last year we had many young couple who said this was a moving day for them as it reminded them that love could last!
I’d love to hear some of your love stories for a lifetime!

No comments: