Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Weekend at the Henry County Hilton

I just returned from my first deer hunting experience. It was awesome! I have been threatening to do this for years, because whenever I drive down the road I can spot dear, even bucks all the time. So this was it. My guide was the imfamous Sam Eyle, otherwise known as our counseling minister. A counseling minister with a lot of guns, a target range and land to hunt; what a combination.

I arrived late in the afternoon on Thursday to practice shooting the gun I would be using. Sam showed me the ropes and pointed at the target and said try your best to get it in the six inch circle. Three shots, three in the circle, I'm ready - who knew I could shoot. Then it is off to the deck to enjoy the sunset and I see 5-8 deer in a field several hundred yards away. Tomorrow is going to be such a great day. Then Sam fixes an incredible dinner with the biggest steak I have had in years and baked potatoes. It was unbelieveable. Talk for a while then off to bed early.

Alarm goes off at 5:45. I didn't realize there was one of those when the sun wasn't up. We get dressed and are in the woods by 6:30 waiting for the sun to come up. The plan is simple first doe I see and then wait for the buck. Piece of cake!

My first deer hunt was incredible. I got to spend nine hours in the woods, marveling over God's creation. I got to hunt hiding behind logs, up in a tree stand, sitting at the edge of an open field. It was incredible!

Thanks Sam for the incredible weekend at the Henry County Hilton.

Oh by the way - I didn't see one stinking deer on the hunt! Oh well.

No comments: