Monday, November 3, 2008

Character

I just returned from a rally with Laura Bush. I have to admit it was my first such rally, but when Senator Gary Tapp who is a member of our church invited me I jumped at the chance. It was a rather long event with several elected officials and candidates speaking before First Lady Bush arrived. Then there was the long wait as secret service cleared the building and got the First Lady headed back to the airport.
The wait gave me time to think about the day. It dawned on me that the thing that stuck out most in my mind as I listened to poeple speak was "character". Every candidate and elected official that was there talked about their faith. Gary even quoted from the sermon at church yesterday. In fact several talked about their faith and mentioned by name people they were praying for that were going through difficult times.
Then as I reflected on Mrs. Bush and why everyone likes her so much, I realized it is her character. When she talks you believe her and even more important you realize that she believes what she is saying and is not just saying it.
One of the speakers spoke of a candidate that I won't mention by name, but he made this comment. He said, "He is a SELF-MADE man and he worships his creator." If you are not careful the impact of that can slip right by you. A self-made man who worships his creator, worships himself. There is not much "character" in that, just ego.
I do not know what is going to happen tomorrow, but the one who owns the cattle on a thousand hills does and he has it all under control, regardless of who we elect. He just may have to work harder in one scenario than the other.

No comments: