Friday, February 18, 2011

FCA JUST KEEPS ON REACHING

One of the greatest joys I have had over the last two years is the opportunity to get reconnected with FCA and serve as chaplain to the 2009 Shelby County Rockets and the 2010 Collins Titans.  I thank Todd Shipley so much for bringing me on in 2009.  He is a great coach and person and we definitely had an "Uncommon Season".  The move to a new school this year was fun, but I sure miss Ship and the Rockets.  We have two great high schools and two Christian coaches, not too many communities can say that.  I love Coach Lucas and what he is allowing me to do with a group of young men that goes far beyond the football field.

Fellowship of Christian Athletes is all about life. Sports is just the arena in which its leaders teach life and most importantly teach a life with Christ.  This morning I got to spend some time in my office with Steve Wigginton, the state director of FCA and Scott Long, the great wide receiver from University of Louisville.  Scott had a great career at U of L, and after a stint with the San Franscisco Forty-Niners is back in Louisville trying to give back by sharing Christ.  While at U of L Scott became close to FCA campus chaplain Chris Morgan who poured himself into Scott, discipling him to be a true follower of Christ.  Scott is now an area representative with FCA.

I encourage you to keep up with local FCA opportunites by reading their blog at http://www.fcalouisvilleky.blogspot.com/ .  There is an annual golf scramble in the summer and auction in the fall that I encourage you to get involved in and help out.  FCA is just Christ extended arm of the church to young people through the arena of athletics and it just keeps on reaching.  Let's help them out!

No comments: