Thursday, February 10, 2011

What Do You Want To Do

Samuel Johnson, the famous British author, once said, "Nothing will ever be attempted, if all possible objections must first be overcome."  What is it that you want to do, but you are afraid to try?  Is something in your private world, like sky diving or scuba diving?  Is it something in your financial world like starting a new business or who knows maybe even tithing to God?  Is it something in your work world like suggesting a better way of doing things or maybe even switching jobs?  Whatever it is, it will never happen if you don't try.

Now we have to be careful not to do things on impulse just because it is something we want to do.  Jesus warned us of this in Luke 14 28-29 “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it?  For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you." Yet many people today do not count the cost before the do things and end up paying a huge price financially, emotionally and spiritually.

However,  many more people seem to spend enormous amounts of time figuring out why something won't work rather than investigating what will make it work.  Then there comes the time after all has been evaluated and maybe there are some questions unanswered that you just gotta JUMP!

When I was six years old my Uncle Sam was helping to teach me to swim.  I kept watching the big kids jumping off the high dive and I wanted to jump so bad.  Finally, one Sunday afternoon he said let's go.  Now the ball was in my court.  I wanted to go jump so bad, but I knew that once I climbed that ladder and left that board there was no going back.  The really cool thing that I'll never forget is that when we got to the deep end and it was my turn to go off the board he jumped in the water and swam to the middle and then said, "alright now go ahead and jump."  Suddenly I knew everything was going to be alright because he was right there where I was going to land and if I had trouble he was there to save me.  He is still swimming into some deep waters with me today and I will always love him for it.

Now what about you and me and the other decisions that we have to make.  We don't always have an uncle out in the water waiting for us.  But wait there is someone ...

Jesus said in Matthew 17:28 "Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”   In Matthew 19:26 he said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Before Jesus said that God reminded His followers in Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”

So what do you want to do that seems so BIG?  Spend some time evaluating, praying, seeking advice and wisdom.  Then at the end of the day, even when all the questions aren't answered, go ahead and jump and know that your heavenly Father is there to catch you!

What do you want to do?





No comments: