Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I Think We Are All Hoarders

I have to admit I have never watched, nor do I plan to watch more than 5 minutes of that show on television.  I feel sorry for the families involved and don't need to see it to know that it is a very real problem.  In fact, I really can't find any redeeming value to showing it on TV. 

Hi, my name is Dave and I am a hoarder!  Not in the way those folks on TV are depicted but I hoard my time, my thoughts, my feelings.  I don't really hoard my money, but I know a lot of people that do.  I know some that hoard relationships, opinions and even prejudices.

Why can't we all just let things go and focus on things that really matter and that will make a difference in the time we have here on earth and beyond?  What are we holding onto and why are we squeezing so tight?

Seriously do you think heaven is segregated?  Of course not, then why do we hoard our biases and personal prejudices here on earth.  The time is coming when they are going to get thrown away.  What about that money?  How many times do we have to be told we can't take it with us?  Churches, colleges, orphanages and every non-profit organization I know are struggling for funds and people are saying we can't give because of the recession, but they have been to see Mickey Mouse in that land wonderful kingdom three times this year. 

I admit it there are still a lot of things that I hoard, and a lot of them I need to get rid of.  I need to get one of those huge garbage dumpsters and park it at the front door of my heart and start loading stuff in.  My fear is that I would have to have it towed away and emptied multiple times before I really get everything cleaned out.  Luke 17:31 says, "When the Day arrives and you're out working in the yard, don't run into the house to get anything. And if you're out in the field, don't go back and get your coat. Remember what happened to Lot's wife! If you grasp and cling to life on your terms, you'll lose it, but if you let that life go, you'll get life on God's terms."

I really do want to live life on God's terms and quit worrying about what the world says.  So I'm trying to decide daily what to hold onto in this world.  I hoard my time with my family.  I know I was blessed into this world with a wonderful family, with great parents, a brother and sister in law and aunts and uncles and a wonderful heritage. I married so far over my head with a godly wife who amazes me daily with her knowledge of God's word.  I loved her parents so much and miss our trips to Tennessee.  God blessed me with beautiful daughter that will always be daddy's little girl.  She is incredibly witty and just as beautiful on the inside as the outside. God gave me a son whom I dearly love.  The last five years have been a struggle, but I have learned so much about grace and forgiveness, and I understand Luke 15:20 on a completely new level.  I am so proud of where he is now but know that the battle is still on.  I get to be a "Poppy" to two beautiful granddaughters who may have been unexpected, but are dearly loved.  So as I start throwing things away, these are the things I will be hoarding as long as God gives me breath and allows us all to live.

The rest of the stuff ... you can have it ... well except for ... just kidding take it all

No comments: