Friday, October 14, 2011

Why Would They Follow?

I just reread the account from Mark's gospel of Jesus calling Levi (Matthew) to be a disciple?  Why would Matthew or Peter, Andrew, James or John, or any of the other seven guys just drop everything to follow Jesus?  At the time he called them He was just starting his public ministry.  He had done nothing that set him apart, they just followed.  Some guys left the family fishing business, nets in the boat, boats in the water and followed Jesus.  Why?  Matthew left his collection desk.  No telling how much ill gotten gain was under the table and he followed Jesus. Why?

I would love to know what it was about his character that made them want to follow.  My wife pointed out a few weeks ago how people followed his instructions at the wedding feast in Galilee.  The Bible specifically tells us it was the first miracle, so there was no evidence to them that a miracle was about to happen.  Mary's words were remarkable, "Do whatever He tells you to do!"  Why would they do that?  But they did!  BAM!  Water into wine and the ministry is on!  But why would they follow him?

Maybe the better question today is, "Why Don't We Follow?"  Two thousand years and millions of life changing miracles later, either directly from the hands of Jesus or the miracle of prayer.  We have seen Him work and we know what can happen and we still don't do what he says or follow his leading.

Oh when someone asks if we believe in Jesus the majority of people in the western hemisphere say yes.  But do we follow?  Why did those who had no clue choose to follow? 

Could it be that they were at the end of their hope rope?  They had tried everything on their own and they didn't know what else to try.  Matthew had cheated people out of so much money that his only remaining friends were fellow tax collectors.  Peter, Andrew, James and John were smelly fishermen with calloused hands and aching backs that needed some hope and relief that there was more to life than just this hard labor.  The servants at the wedding feast were probably terrified of how the master would react when the wine was gone.  When people come to the end of their hope rope they will do things that they have never done before.  They will follow anything or anyone that might offer hope. 

So how much longer can you hang on to the non-Messianic undivine hope rope you are grasping?  What is it going to take to realize that your marriage will never be all that is could be without Jesus?  That your children are never going to be truly obedient without Jesus?  That the money will not last no matter how hard you try without Jesus?  That the addiction will never be conquered without Jesus?   When you have tried it all on your own and you find your loosing your grip on that hope rope, follow Jesus!

But here is the best question, why wait that long?

I'd love to hear soem stories of why you chose to follow.  Or even why you haven't!

2 comments:

Sabrina Raymond said...

Dave, I follow Jesus because all my life, I was like the song, “looking for love in all the wrong places.” I had been baptized at the age of 28, but I think I was just going through the motions because I never really allowed the Holy Spirit to take up residence in my heart. I let the world control my life even after telling the Lord through acceptance and baptism that I wanted to follow him. I made many terrible decisions, resulting in many terrible mistakes and mishaps in my life. I did all the worldly things that I am too ashamed to disclose, but it really doesn’t matter anymore, because I know that my sins are washed away. When my family found out in March of 2006 that our father was terminally ill with lung cancer, I knew that I could not handle this alone. I had wonderful family and friends, but that was not going to be enough. This was my Providential moment that changed my life forever. I began going to church at SCC, listening, watching and learning. Dad died in May 2006, and I was able to accept his death knowing that I would see him again in heaven. I continued to go to church, growing as a Christian, but I still felt that I had not totally given my life to Christ. On Sept 13, 2009 as you stepped into the baptistry, you offered to all in the church an invitation to come and give your life. I rededicated my life that day and told Jesus, I am all in. You had about 15 or 16 people do the same thing that day. I hope and pray that all of those that were baptized that day have found the peace and joy in their life as I have. Do I still have hurdles to jump and battles to fight? Absolutely, but I have the Lord on my side, and I know that I am a winner, no matter what. My reward is a place beside Jesus in Heaven. I just want to be a good wife, good mom, but most importantly a light that shines for Jesus. I know that I have a long way to go, but my footsteps are slowly catching up to His.

Unknown said...

Awesome Sabrina thanks for sharing! Keep on reaching!