Monday, May 4, 2009

Chapter 4 - Courage

Well we are four days into this journey. If you are reading along with us send me a note to let me know.
Today's chapter is about courage. I needed to go no farther than the opening quote from Mark Twain to be motivated to consider how life is going. Twain said, "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." How many things have you dreamed of doing and been convinced that you just shouldn't take the risk?
The word fear appears 326 times in the Bible and the word afraid appears 206 times. The majority of those times it is in the most often heard command in the scripture, "Do not be afraid." Philippians 1:20 says, "I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death." I have found that God's promise for courage is true that when I am weakest he becomes strongest and gives me the strength and courage to endure and move forward.
So what sails do you need to open on the seas of life? What would it take for you to do that?

No comments: